1200EX Electron Microscope
This is a transmission electron microscope max at 120 kV.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR JEOL 1200EX (1) Check for the following:
1. Ready lamp is lit.
2. Beam Current reads 000. (If Beam Current is blank, open upper left panel. Move lens power supply switch to On and accelerating voltage
Load Sample: 1. Load samples in sample holder (#1 is closest to ruby). Z Axis Adjustment: 1. Mag at 5,000, image in focus. OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR JEOL 1200EX (2) Photography: 1. Select the desired field and magnification, focus the image.
2. Align sample holder with insertion hole. The top of the sample holder will be facing the operator.
3. Insert fully without turning.
4. Firmly press the sample holder toward column until you hear the vacuum pump engage AND the red lamp lights up next to insertion hole.
5. WAIT until red light goes OUT and pump recycles.
6. Turn 1/4 turn clockwise and control sample holder speed as it is pulled into column by the existing vacuum.
(Rotating Holder: Plug into H1 pin connector).
7. Dial in sample position 1 or 2.
8. Turn up CRT intensity.
9. Depress mag 2 (mag = 5,000).
10. Set accelerating voltage to 80 kV.
11. Depress HT button. Wait until Beam Current stabilizes @ 046. (If a different working kV is desired, call a member of the facility.)
12. Slowly increase filament knob to the stop.
13. Condense the beam with brightness knob (counter-clockwise).
14. Center beam with SHIFT X/Y knobs if necessary.
15. Spread the beam using brightness knob.
16. Focus the binoculars on the pointer (black dot). Small screen must be in lowered position.
17. Focus the image using the image x wobbler.
18. Adjust the Z axis.
2. Place a small, easily identifiable object at the screen center.
3. Disengage the goniometer stage drive.
4. Rotate knurled ring on goniometer counterclockwise 15o.
5. Observe the movement of the selected object.
6. Using the small knurled knob on the goniometer, bring the selected object back to screen center.
7. Return goniometer tilt to 0o.
8. Center selected object with stage controls.
9. Focus image.
10. Repeat steps 4 thru 9. (When the selected object remains at screen
11. Engage the goniometer stage drive.
2. Select either full screen or small screen exposure meter.
3. Adjust brightness knob to set EXP TIME to 2.8 seconds.
4. Depress photo button (wait until button lights up).
5. Depress photo button again (when exposure is complete, the image
6. Record all pertinent information on the Photo Record Sheet.
1. Load samples in sample holder (#1 is closest to ruby).
Z Axis Adjustment:
1. Mag at 5,000, image in focus.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR JEOL 1200EX (2)
1. Select the desired field and magnification, focus the image.